Hofstra Law Named a Top 3 School for Family Law by preLaw Magazine
PreLaw magazine has awarded Hofstra Law an “A+” rating for its Family Law offerings. The ratings are announced in preLaw’s Fall 2018 issue in the article “Top Schools Family Law.”
Hofstra Law is one of only three law schools to receive an “A+” rating for Family Law. PreLaw bases the ratings on the breadth and depth of a law school’s offerings, including a concentration, a clinic, a center, an internship/externship, a journal, a student group, and a certificate.
The article highlights Hofstra Law’s understanding of what makes a good family lawyer: “The law schools that are best at family law make the stakes very clear up front. As Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University notes: ‘Family lawyers represent children and parents who are experiencing crisis. Therefore, they need to be compassionate, have good judgment and have strong interviewing and counseling skills.’”
Hofstra Law’s offerings in Family Law include:
• Youth Advocacy Clinic, in which Hofstra Law students learn the facets of client advocacy through the challenging experience of representing youth in special immigrant juvenile matters and child maltreatment cases.
• Center for Children, Families and the Law, an interdisciplinary center for education, research and public service focused on children and families involved in the legal system
• Externships with organizations such as The Legal Aid Society, the Children’s Law Center, the Department of Social Services, the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, Lawyers for Children, and several family court judges’ and district attorneys’ offices
• Family Court Review, an international, interdisciplinary peer-reviewed, quarterly family law journal (published under the auspices of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, or AFCC), whose editorial staff is based at Hofstra Law
• A student organization, the Family Law Society
• More than 20 courses, such as Alternatives to Litigation; Child Abuse and Neglect; Domestic Violence; Family Law/Family Law With Skills; Family Law Policy Seminar; Family Law Practicum; International Family Law; Introduction to Child and Family Advocacy; Mediation Seminar; Modern Divorce Advocacy; and Special Education Law
PreLaw magazine is a National Jurist publication.
Read the full article “Top Schools Family Law” in preLaw’s online Fall 2018 issue (Vol. 22, No. 2).
The post Hofstra Law Named a Top 3 School for Family Law by preLaw Magazine appeared first on Hofstra Law News.